• agSL
    Hi,
    I followed the MW101 encyclopedia page on TRL calibration. It strongly recommends 2.92mm air dielectric connectors. I have 2 questions.

1. When I search in the internet, I found some precision 2.92 mm connectors in the price range around US$ 50/connector. But the dielectric used is NOT air. How about using these for a TRL calibration?

2. All literature points out that 2.92mm (K) connectors are mechanically compatible with SMA and 3.5mm types. But in the internet, I found there are 2.92mm to SMA/3.5mm adapters. If these connector types are compatible, why do we need adapters?
    Thanks a lot if you can clarify these.
    Best Regards,
    agSL
  • madengr
    The connectors are mechanically compatible, but you should not use a 3.5 mm cal kit on a 2.92 mm connector as you will have an electrical discontinuity at the reference plane. Rather you use the adapter to get the proper interface.

No, you should not use a dielectric filled 2.92 mm on a 2.92 mm cal kit for the same reason. Sounds like a bastardized 2.92 mm.

Now SMA cal kits are rare (as they are an abomination) so they expect you to use 3.5 mm on SMA. Though never connect an SMA to a 3.5 mm cal kit, especially an HP. Use a 3.5 mm jack saver.
  • UnknownEditor
    It does seem weird that there are 2.92 to 3.5mm adapters available... how accurate do you need a calibration? if you don't work for NIST maybe you can ignore a slight discontinuity.

I would like to see the data sheet on the 2.92 mm connector with dielectric.... Thanks!

Keep in touch!
    Steve
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome!

Join the international conversation on a broad range of microwave and RF topics. Learn about the latest developments in our industry, post questions for your peers to answer, and weigh in with some answers if you can!