• UnknownEditor
    Suppose you are designing a solid-state power amp over a moderate bandwidth, using Wilkinson-style dividers. Is there a down-side to adding 90 degree phase length to half of the combiner inputs (and divider outputs), to put the power stage in quadrature? Seems like everyone would like a better input and output match, right? How come I can't buy something like this....
    Thanks in advance.
  • Hadrien Theveneau
    If I remember correctly, I have already seen such transformations between Wilkinson-like and Quadrature-like using 90° shifters.

However, I find it simpler to go straight to a quadrature coupler for two reasons. For wideband designs, the 90° phase shifter is not trivial to design. For higher power designs, the grounded resistor of the quadrature couplers is simpler to handle than the floating resistor of the Wilkinson.

Have a nice day,
  • UnknownEditor
    My friend
    You have pointed out the weak part of Wilkinsons in SSPAs.... the resistor is going to blow up!
    Steve
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome!

Join the international conversation on a broad range of microwave and RF topics. Learn about the latest developments in our industry, post questions for your peers to answer, and weigh in with some answers if you can!