• Admin
    Unicorn created the topic: Short and Open Standard in Calibration Kit

The textbook told me that it's hard to get open and short circuit over a broadband at microwave frequency, which is one of the reason why we use s-parameters instead of z-, y-, h-parameters(they all need short circuit to measure). But in the SOLT calibration of Network Analyzer, we do have short and open termination which can cover large frequency range. Is there any contradictory?
  • Admin
    madengr replied the topic: Short and Open Standard in Calibration Kit

No. The SOLT coaxial shorts and opens are offset (i.e. moved from the reference plane) with a delay, and also have a polynomial fit for L and C, respectively. So they are far from ideal, but they are well characterized, thus the VNA can compensate.
  • Admin
    MMWENGR replied the topic: Short and Open Standard in Calibration Kit

The only clarification I would add is that the VNA knows the polynomial fit coefficients since the cal kit and VNA are a matched pair. If the wrong cal kit is used to calibrate the VNA the accuracy is degraded.

David
  • Admin
    Unicorn replied the topic: Short and Open Standard in Calibration Kit

Thank you for your comment.
  • ScaryLarry
    It's not so much that perfect open or shorts are hard to create (though they are - but you can define that problem away), but many active devices are not stable with impedances far from 50Ohm - that is a physical problem rather than a mathematical transform...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome!

Join the international conversation on a broad range of microwave and RF topics. Learn about the latest developments in our industry, post questions for your peers to answer, and weigh in with some answers if you can!