• JP22
    I noticed the circuit topology is never mentioned in datasheets of SMA attenuators. Will they mostly use a standard one or do all companies use different "proprietary" ones?
  • KerwoodDerby
    I've never encountered any treatment of attenuator topology, but if someone off the street asked me to choose, I'd pick T over Pi, because series R up front does a better job of hiding non-idealities than shunt R. Think about it: a leading shunt R demands perfection in the transmission line leading up to it, while a series R devours imperfections both prior and forward.
  • Desert Sage
    Not sure what you mean by topology? If you mean Tee or Pi type you may be surprised that most are neither, relying instead on a 2D slab of resistor material (which ohms out properly as if it were Tee or Pi). The big trick is broadbanding techniques especially when trying to ground the shunt. I would need to find an old paper to explain this type of attenuator. Madengr should know.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome!

Join the international conversation on a broad range of microwave and RF topics. Learn about the latest developments in our industry, post questions for your peers to answer, and weigh in with some answers if you can!