• UnknownEditor
    5
    This is not really a question, just a discussion. At this point in life I am look at stuff we accumulated over the years to decide what to do with it all. I have a few old radios, and recentlyt paid to have two of them restored. First up is a 1929 RCA Radiola 66.

    https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rca_66.html

    My grandfather bought it in 1929 for the equivalent of thousands of dollars, right before the stock market dropped. It is mostly original, with some sweet new tubes and of course new caps. The speaker was mended over the years with tape but it still works great. It even has an input for a Victrola. Now that it is working, I found out that Edwin Armstrong did not anticipate the crazy EMI that light dimmers put out so of course I no longer have dimmers in my house. The set burns 100Ws of power. Even though the AM band stopped at 1400 kHz when the radio was built, it pulls in a station up at 1600. It is literally awesome.

    My second restore is a 1950s Belmont model A-8AF25 AM/FM badged as a Raytheon radio. It had some major work done to it by a previous owner but now it works great. The schematic shows that the power cord should have three wires, but the third wire is an antenna. I think this was called a "Raytenna". The last repair shop grounded that wire, which explains why reception was poor. Now it is working great, burns only 60 watts.

    Third up is a Hallicrafters Super Skyrider.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallicrafters_SX-28

    My father brought it home from China (or India?) after WWII in a foot locker. It weighs 80 lbs! Unfortunately, someone (not naming names) let the blue smoke out, some of the paper caps went up in flames. This restore is prolly gonna run into the money, like the monkey said when he peed into the cash register (my father used this expression many times). Hopefully it will come back to life soon. If it is truly bricked I will donate it to the Pima Air and Space Museum in Tucson.

    Also I have a Kenwood KR2600 tuner driving Ohm E2 speakers. It is a modest set-up, and I don't plan on adding a turn table but this receiver reminds me of college days (I had a Pioneer SX250 and BIC Venturi speakers, nothing fancy, but it could generate a lot of decibels).

    https://classicreceivers.com/pioneer-sx-2500

    Do any of you peeps out they have your own radio museum in your house? Or a maybe a vintage TV? tell us about your collection!

    Steve
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
quote
ulist
image
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome!

Join the international conversation on a broad range of microwave and RF topics. Learn about the latest developments in our industry, post questions for your peers to answer, and weigh in with some answers if you can!