• JP22
    I am setting up a microwave measurement circuit that includes some low-noise amplifiers (e.g. RLNA02G08G30). In our academic lab setup, we generally bias these types of components by chopping the banana plugs of a pair of cables, soldering the loose end to the DC pins on the component and plugging the other end to a variable DC power supply.
    I wonder if there is a more standard practice or an appropriate connector that is meant to be used for the DC biasing pins on these amps, since they all seem to have similar ones?
  • UnknownEditor
    There might be some type of header that fits over the drain supply pin, but that would not work on the ground lug. Honestly, I like your idea, especially since you never have to worry about a clip-leab falling off!

Steve
  • CMoncsko
    The DC pins are typically hermetic feedthrough pins (although not always hermetic). They frequently also incorporate a Discoidal Capacitor for decoupling. Sometimes they're soldered in, sometimes they're laser welded in, sometimes they're screwed into a tapped hole, but they're always intended to be soldered to a wire (usually covered with heatshrink when you're done, gotta keep it tidy!)

As for the ground lug, they're always screwed in because who would want to go through the trouble of laser welding something that has no internal pin connection? I have no idea why they have the little flare at the end of the pin though... maybe it's just to make it extra easy to grab with an alligator clip?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome!

Join the international conversation on a broad range of microwave and RF topics. Learn about the latest developments in our industry, post questions for your peers to answer, and weigh in with some answers if you can!