• Nicolas Faria
    Hi all,

I am measuring IM3 in the lab where I applied 2 tones of equal power into our Tx chain. When comparing Pout (total output power) vs IM3, I am unsure if it is against the total output power of the 2 tones or the power of one of the two tones (approx. 3dB minus the total power). In two tone measurements you have other products (F2-F1, 2*F-F2 (IM3), 2*F2-F1(IM3), F1+F2, etc.), that aren't present in a one tone test with a power equal to the total power of the two tones.

Thanks in advance.
  • Donald Brant
    Unless requested otherwise, when performing two-tone measurements, I explicitly state that input/output power is "per tone"; I also note the tone spacing and that the IM products are "relative to one of two equal tones X MHz apart". I typically only use total power in efficiency calculations.
    Spectrum analyzers typically put their markers on the tones, not the imaginary point 3dB higher, when displaying IM data. Saves a lot of mental math and confusion.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome!

Join the international conversation on a broad range of microwave and RF topics. Learn about the latest developments in our industry, post questions for your peers to answer, and weigh in with some answers if you can!