• Admin
    metin created the topic: earthing quality measurement with an antenna

I wonder if it would be possible to measure the earthing quality with an RF antenna. My idea is to fees some voltage between an antenna and the earth terminal and measure the current. Then I would guess the earthing impedance since the air-antenna impedance is already known.
    Is there anyone who thinks this is possible? I am an experienced designer but never worked in RF.
  • Admin
    Dave replied the topic: earthing quality measurement with an antenna

Probably not to any useful degree.

It sounds like what you want to do is a Kirchoff current loop using the air interface as a known impedance to close the loop. If that's so, you've also got the coupling from free space into the earth terminal to consider.

I think you'll run into problems with mismatch between the source and the antenna, mismatch between the antenna and the earth terminal, variations in the distance between the antenna and earth terminal, possibly polarisation, and maybe also multi-path effects all adding uncertainty to the measurement.

Interesting idea though.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome!

Join the international conversation on a broad range of microwave and RF topics. Learn about the latest developments in our industry, post questions for your peers to answer, and weigh in with some answers if you can!