• Admin
    Khalid created the topic: Multiband power combiner with inputs of unequal magnitude and phase

Hello,

I am trying to design a power combiner for multiple antennas. The antennas are similar and have multiband function. So far I have designed a multiband N-way Wilkinson combiner for this purpose. However the input signals for the combiner will be unequal in magnitude and with random phase both of which are not predictable (Kind of like in an energy harvesting antenna array). I want to know if it Wilkinson is the best option for such a combiner. the design requires high isolation and very low insertion loss.
  • Admin
    macchiar replied the topic: Multiband power combiner with inputs of unequal magnitude and phase

Dear Khalid,
    I don't think that the Wilkinson combiner is the best option. In fact, when the signals to be combined are unequal, some of the input signals power is dissipated in the resistors and the output (combined) power is less than the sum of the input signals power. Moreover isolation is relatively low.
    In your case the best option is a selective combiner, but this requires that the signals to be combined are spectrally separated. In this case the combiner can be realized with a classical multiplexer (several filters with the output ports connected to a common junction). Using selective filters with high Q resonators you can obtain both high isolation and low loss in each channel.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome!

Join the international conversation on a broad range of microwave and RF topics. Learn about the latest developments in our industry, post questions for your peers to answer, and weigh in with some answers if you can!