• bxdobs
    Quasar MQ8895 is a Microwave/Convection oven ... currently the unit is flashing the Colon at 1 Second intervals (much like it just lost power) but will not accept any user input ... Checked the voltages on the control board, checked all the interlocks ... tested all the cross connections on the membrane keypad (all contact closures range from 140 to 240 ohms) ... attempted to simulate the required startup keyclosures directly on the keypad connector but still nothing accepted ... scoped the Microcontoller which appears to be active (500kHz clock with activity on i/o lines) ... I know the Humidity sensor is broken but that hasn't caused this type of failure ... a failed humidity sensor basically keeps the convection features from running ... I replaced this sensor several years back and the machine was working fine until this sensor failed again ... today I retested all the external components and connections and found that the temperature sensor is open circuit (my initial readings were in the M ohm region suggesting I may have inadvertanlty been in circuit during those tests) ... suspecting this open sensor is causing the current no go failure. Neither of these parts appear to be available from any source ... however, surely there could be an outside the box solution for at least the temperature sensor provided one knew the specs for this sensor; resistance range and positive or negative coefficient ... as this sensor is in the convection cavity, not certain if it is used for microwave operations

I have the control cable disconnected and was going to add a variable resistor across the sensor input to see if is the actual cause of the current failure but was hoping someone might be able to suggest a starting and or range of resistance I should look for ... there is a pot in series with this sensor currently set to 25k so wondering if I should just add 25k to the other leg of this 3 leg sensor ... Sensor from pin 1 to pin 2, 33k pot from pin 2 to pin 3 (set to 25k) (the numbers on this sensor are 437FV 6574-3E VR)

Unlike newer Microwaves this machine has only 3 main microwave components; a Transformer, a magnatron and a cap, it is well built and has performed exceptionally well ... the Cap and Magnatron were replace several years back (as the cap shorted out) ... even if I was only able to get the microwave working again this machine is worth saving.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide with this
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome!

Join the international conversation on a broad range of microwave and RF topics. Learn about the latest developments in our industry, post questions for your peers to answer, and weigh in with some answers if you can!