• Phil
    Hi guys,
    I'm a finalist Electrical and Electronic Engineering student, about to do a Master Thesis. My preferred subjects have been Microwaves Engineering related. I was wondering what subjects could be inteeresting and challenging. Preferrably related to Machine Learning/Intelligence.

I had an idea, but I don't whether it is realistic: Basically, design a software program that finds the optimum locations in a city where the 5G antennas should be placed. Mainly by using some 3D maps and reflection and attenuation coefficients, as well as some sort of machine learning optimization.

I am open to any suggestions, what could be a good idea?

Thanks in advance!
  • jdm
    Hi Phil,

I am not sure that your idea is really feasible, due to some practical reasons:
    Where do you get the 3D with channel capacity? Making such a map is huge effort, involves test drives and so on.

Of practical interest for microwave engineers are two areas:
    1. AI based models, which can be used for simulation. This training data should be obtained by measurement campaigns over many different conditions. Practically, some physical behaviors are not easy to describe in closed form models, therefore AI based models are used. One example is power amplifier modeling of nonlinearities. The main goal of the model here is to analyze the performance of the device under test with this model, and be able to simulate its performance.
    2. Another topic is AI based Radar detection. In this area, targets are classified by machine learning signal processing. One example is actually the latest Google Pixel, which is using a radar sensor to detect gestures.

BR
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome!

Join the international conversation on a broad range of microwave and RF topics. Learn about the latest developments in our industry, post questions for your peers to answer, and weigh in with some answers if you can!